Life With Autism

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > A young girl with Asperger's writes to teachers everywhere.

Lawrence Gordon
Site Owner

THIS, HER LETTER TO TEACHERS EVERYWHERE, EXPLAINS THE THINGS THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO HER. THE THINGS THAT HELP HER TO FEEL CALM AND THE THINGS THAT HELP HER TO LEARN.

Some of the things that affect your students or children will probably be the same, whilst others are likely to be different. Why not ask them to write (or dictate) a letter of their own to help you understand them a little bit better.

It’s a great activity for all children, not just those on the spectrum. It’s a lesson I’ve done for a long time, and one in which I always learn something new.

DEAR TEACHERS,

It’s me here, the Bear. I’m ten years old and in year 6. I was diagnosed with Asperger’s when I was two years old. I’ve written this letter for teachers who have pupils with Asperger’s.

There are a few things I’d like you to know:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

First impressions are very important because I don’t forget them. I had a supply teacher once who’s probably very nice, but her first impression wasn’t good, so I never liked her.

TAKE THE TIME

Everyone is different, so take the time to know everyone separately, because some people you’ll need to know individually to understand, so please please please take the time to know everyone.

SHOUTING

Even if the Someone you are shouting at isn’t me, I still feel scared and worried. Children are much more likely to do as you say if you don’t shout or send them out of the classroom.

SOONER, NOT LATER

Always warn the class if you’re not going to be there, before you leave, and try to find the same supply teacher each time you’re away. Tell them why you’ll be away. Also make sure your class like the supply teacher.

NICE AND CLEAN

Make sure everywhere is clean because I always feel stressed when somewhere isn’t clean.

GIVE A REASON

If something doesn’t go as planned and things have to change, always say why.

HOMEWORK

When you are giving out homework, always give a precise explanation so that no-one can get confused and upset.

From

Bear

--

February 7, 2018 at 3:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.